Chris' Bloggin' Topics

11 July, 2009

BBQ Review - Ruby's, Austin, TX

Ok, first off, keep in mind this is Ruby's with a B and not the one and only Rudy's born in San Antonio. Ok, its only an hour and a half from SAT to Austin but it is still a totally different place.

After getting in to a crazy, in-depth restaurant conversation with a guy at my hotel; I settled on Ruby's. The place is a small "dive-ish" sort of place but I don't mind those. Some of my favorite places are greasy spoons (I wonder if Rocky and Carlos' is still in Chalmette, LA).

At any rate, it was less than 2 miles from my hotel so I went.

I would put my "It was OK" label on this place. It definitely isn't the worst place I've been but I had a big problem with one thing in particular. When you cook babyback ribs, in my opinion you have no choice but to clean off the membrane on the back of each rack. If you don't, and you don't cook them long enough; that membrane turns into basically a piece of wax paper on each and every rib you eat. Granted, it could have been the rack they missed but every rib I had bugged the crap out of me because it still had that membrane.

Their side orders were also just ok. The mac and cheese was just so-so although it was made from scratch.

Their main sauce that is provided in a styrofoam container was also just so-so. It didn't knock me out like "wow...this is a dang good sauce." It was a little spicier than the usual Cattleman's sauce most restaurants seem to serve which was nice.

One positive did stand out. I got a lot of food for about $20. And I didn't try the cobbler that was allegedly pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment