Chris' Bloggin' Topics

10 July, 2009

BBQ Review - Rudy's, San Antonio

Wow. I really am particular about my bbq and haven't found any good ones in Phoenix besides my house. But Rudy's is the diggity!

I can pretty much eat my weight in their creamed corn too. But I love the idea of buying meat by the racks or pounds (not this measly 1/4 piece of this crap).

It's funny too because they put a big piece of wax paper down in a plastic drink crate and then you just go to town on whatever you're ordering. My only question is why does the lady ask me "and how many plates will you need sir?" after my crate is filled to the brim with smokey goodness.

A negative though is that it seems like they do run out of food pretty often. I've been several times and have either had to wait on chicken or just totally skip on baby back ribs. That's a shame because sometimes you just know what you're in the mood for.

From my various visits, I've had just about everything on the menu at some point. The smoked sausage is THE JUNK! Sooooo good. The 1/2 chicken is always tender but every now and again can have a propane aftertaste to it. Their babybacks aren't the most meaty but they are usually pretty darn good. I think I can only remember one instance where they were dry. The spareribs are usually good and haven't been dry either. They have 2 kinds of brisket as do a lot of places in Texas. Lean and moist. Moist is obviously fattier but more flavorful. I've had both and it just depends on what your flavor is. They are both pretty good. The smoked turkey has never been dry either. Always really good.

They've got a pretty dang good sauce too. I always just my meat by how much sauce I "need" and their sauce by how much I "want." If I "need" sauce, your meat probably isn't all that great but if I "want" sauce...that means both are really good. At Rudy's, I definitely don't "need" sauce but I really like their sauces. It's probably in my top 3 sauces in the country.

One potential negative is the cobbler. Man, I hate cobbler served cold. I like hot or at least warmed through cobbler. Rudy's serves theirs cold. As far as their other sides...sorry, I haven't been able to make it past the creamed corn. I've heard other friends who like the tater salad and beans...but after a pint of corn every time I go...I haven't had room for anything else.

All and all though...I would say it is one of my absolute FAVORITE places in San Antonio. I will not miss a trip to Leone Springs to eat there.

No comments:

Post a Comment